Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

A Counter to David Airey

I read a fair number of design blogs. I like to keep up with what's going on in the design world, and I think it's good to see trends. I also think it's important to hear what experienced designers have to say about design and the future of design.

After reading this article from David Airey's site: http://www.davidairey.com/to-be-a-designer/, I had a few thoughts.

While I know that you can design, do art, and be creative anywhere, I think that for young designers it's especially important to learn from people experienced in the field. In the book How to Be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul, Adrian Shaughnessy hypothesizes that in order for a young designer to really get the most out of an internship, they not only need to be there for a sufficient amount of time (anywhere from six to 18 months), but they need to be nurtured and taught constantly. So far, I feel that my internship is good and nurturing in close to the same way that Shaughnessy has described.

My first job was in a corporate office as a freelance web designer. However, it did not end well, and I had difficulty after my contract. The bottom line was it wasn't a good fit for someone so young and inexperienced. I think I knew that going into it, but I wanted a job in my field and it seemed like very few grads were getting the coveted internships out there. Everyone wanted someone with experience, but very few people were willing to give the experience needed. So, I took the job given to me, and sent my career on a bumpy path immediately.

It was tough. And, finally, my job ended prematurely, leaving me heart-broken, my confidence shaken, and I questioned whether or not I was meant for design.

My point is that, although it's important for young designers to know there are more places to design than just at a design firm, it's critical to find a good fit, and that fit, typically (I'm guessing) comes at a creative agency of some sort.

Creativity grows more creativity. Creative and artistic minds tend to work together well, and let ideas roll and snowball. Without that kind of atmosphere, creativity dies, resulting in stunted growth in young designers. I think part of the reason I failed at my first job was because it was a stale, stagnant environment with little to no feedback or collaboration.

It's like trying to teach yourself how to read, but with no one helping you along the way, you won't get very far. It's the same thing for design.


That's all I've got for now. Love and Light, folks.

No comments: